Pages

Friday, January 25, 2013

A beautiful discovery

Doug and I have been working on the house steadily since we closed on 12/12/12 and although our progress is slow it's such a delight watching it all come together.  My most exciting project has been the floor.  Since we need to find low cost ways to refurbish this house I started browsing Pinterest to find low-budget inspiration and discovered the beauty of plywood!  Yep...PLYWOOD flooring.  Some people are so creative but I'm not one of them.  I never would have thought of doing a plywood floor but then I saw this...



 Now, isn't that beautiful? This is plywood!!  I found lots more diy plywood floors all over the internet too but this was the prettiest in my opinion.  I emailed this blogger and asked her opinion.  Shannon kindly emailed me back to tell me after 2 years she was still so pleased with it and would definitely do it again.  So I showed it to Doug and we talked about it and now, thanks to some very creative inspiration VIOLA!! Here is my new bedroom floor getting all pretty with a nice pecan stain




 I'm so happy with my new floor.  It turned out so well we decided to do the whole house in plywood.  The only thing we are doing different is a darker stain and a thicker plywood.  My new house gets a lot of natural light streaming through and the floor really could be a darker, richer color so I'm going bolder throughout the rest of the house.  We used 1/4 inch plywood since we were learning/experimenting and if it didn't turn out well I didn't want to end up throwing away too much money.  The rest of the house will be 1/2 inch which is more commonly used. However, I must say even though it's only 1/4 inch it still looks great, way better than laminate and much less expensive.
                                                                                            






6 comments:

  1. Just to be clear, the top picture is NOT my home. It's my inspiration. My floor is the second picture

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you! Just fyi, 3 years later they are still beautiful and I'm still loving them.

      Delete
    2. Thank you! Just fyi, 3 years later they are still beautiful and I'm still loving them.

      Delete
  3. I would like to do this in my kitchen but I'm concerned about the amount of time it will take for the poly to completely dry so we can walk on it. I used poly on my back entryway and we didn't walk on it for about a month. Obviously, we can't do that in the kitchen. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,

    Can you tell me specifically which stain you used? Is it water based or oil-based? Also, how did you get such a bright clear coat? What product did you use? The samples I'm doing have a much duller finish... Thanks!

    ReplyDelete